Rear View Mirror

I'm a forty-something, completely tarnished Southern Belle with a husband, teenager, and two big dogs. I write, though not lately (that's another story)and I am co-editor of an online literary ezine, Chick Flicks. I often find myself rambling about politics, world affairs, pop culture and a whole host of worthless infomation. Welcome to my head.

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Catching up is Hard to Do

So much to say and catch up on, so little time.

Well, it's that time of year again. For most of the country, this time of year goes unnoticed. But for those of us in the Charlotte area, the last ten days means the smell of gasoline and rubber in the air, the need for ear-plugs, and extra traffic on the streets from the hundreds of thousands of people from all over the country that stream into our area. Yes, folks, it's Speed Week here in the Queen City.

Having lived here for seven years, I don't do the races anymore. They were fun in the beginning, new and exciting and as the cars rumbled around the track at 190+ mph, the vibration throughout the body was erotic.

But I hate the hassle of loading up the car, and driving to the track (of which we're less than ten miles from, but which usually takes us an hour and a half to get to, even with our secret back way...a big thank you to Jr's chassis builder for that insider info).

However, I like the extra electricity that buzzes around the city. Starting this last Thurs, is something called Food Lion Speed Street. Charlotte is always blocking off ten blocks of the main street(Tryon) that runs smack dab down the center of Uptown(Downtown to you out-of-towners and blue-collar folks---we can be a little snooty)

While Speed Street affords race fans an opportunity to meet drivers, see race cars up close and personal, play racing video games, pretend to be a tire changer for a few minutes and clean up on sponsor samples, such as Pop Secret and Kellogg's, what's best about the event is the free music.

The organizers try to cover everyone's tastes, as NASCAR's demographics have drastically changed over the last ten years(over 60% of NASCAR fans have a college degree), thanks to the likes of Jeff Gordon and Jr (who is more rock than country, despite what he sounds like when he speaks). I have to chuckle though, as they describe offering "hip hop" but the only group I saw that comes closest to that bill is Boys II Men(which is really R&B) but what do you expect from a bunch of banker white folks?

So tonight, I'm taking my son and his friend to see Three Days Grace. That concert starts at 10:30. I plan on dropping them off in front of that stage, while I make my way down the street to catch Styx. Ok, call me old fashioned, but Styx was one of those bands I listened to all the time when I was in Jr. High and High School and since I never got a chance to see them way back then...better late than never.

My next topic: I've been on a writing jag lately. Goody for me. I've gone back to my nonfiction roots. The pressure has been lifted and I forgot how much I like to research. I have two articles waiting in the queue at Associated Content. I have one more nearly done. However, my next big project is one that I've stumbled onto in the last month and a half...the Internet Survey Scam. I'm about to bust this subject wide open. My only problem is I can't decide where this ariticle will do the most good. But I've plenty of time to think about that.

And lastly, sometimes it's good to be married. I get the opportunity to hang out with some great looking guys and flirt my ass off. Hubby and I don't do the jealously thing, and usually, in the end, he's the one that profits the most from my ummmm, actions. lol Likewise, I think these guys appreciate a girl who doesn't giggle, demand to be the center of attention, and who can actually carry on a conversation covering everything from music to sports. Lucky for them, I'm pretty in touch with my masculine side so I can be as rank and politically incorrect as they can. Sometimes, life is good.

All righty then. It's about dinner time here, so I best get to cookin.

I hope everyone has a great, long weekend!

1 Comments:

At 7:09 PM , Blogger Stacy Taylor said...

Ohhhhhh...damn surveys. I'm scared of them, myself.

I can't wait for your expose', bring it on!

Have a groovy holiday weekend, girl. Same old, same old here:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home